[BioC] get over it/WAKE uP and SMELL the COFFEE

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Thu Dec 18 16:44:07 MET 2003

Currently I am telling the biologists to consider microarrays as screening
experiments.  Mostly, they use the results for second stage analyses, which
may be:

e.g. statistical analyses such as clustering etc
       bioinformatics analyses such as GO, BLAST or sequence analyses
       lab analyses such as Northern blots, in situs, etc

Given the huge number of genes on most arrays, I do want a reasonably
reliable method of screening.  On the other hand, I sometimes just rank the
genes by test score, rather than attempt to determine some suitable
alpha-level, FDR or FNR.

Incidentally, distinguishing between technical replicates and biological
replicates can make a huge different to ANOVA test scores, so I think we
should insist that our analyses should account for this.

--Naomi