[BioC] replicate arrays for limma

Simon Melov smelov at buckinstitute.org
Sun Dec 14 08:16:19 MET 2003

Hi,
Im new to limma, and I'm trying to determine a design matrix for the
following type of experiment. I dont see an example of this sort of
experiment which is becoming increasingly common. I have Diseased vs
control (two color). I have 30 diseased individuals, and each
individual has had 4-6 technical replicates carried out with dye swaps
involved. My question is, how to capitalize on the robustness of the
technical reps per individual? Is there a way in limma of obtaining the
least variable genes per technical rep set (which I guess violates
independence somewhat as the 4-6 replicates are done on the same
individual), and then comparing these results to all the other 29
diseased individuals (who will have had the same filtering done to
identify the most robust differentially expressed genes compared to the
control). Ulimatley this will result in the identification of the most
robustly differentially expressed genes across all 30 individuals, but
will have capitalized on the fact that each individual was technically
replicated between 4-6 times.

Maybe this is straightforward, but I cant figure out how to do it,
please help!

thanks

Simon.