[BioC] ttest or fold change

Rafael A. Irizarry ririzarr at jhsph.edu
Sat Dec 13 17:59:12 MET 2003

in my experience with affymetrix microarryas the t-test is close to
power-less with only 3 replicates. fold-change works much better. things
like sam (see siggenes package for sam-stat and limma package for sam-like
stats) are much better as well. if you do use a t-test make sure to
look at a volcano plot (-log p-value versus average log fold change).
typically you see many many genes with very small pvalues but log
fold-chages very close to 0. these are likely not of interest (the
denominator of t-test was small by chance).