[BioC] Limma parameters and FDR

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Tue Dec 9 00:29:59 MET 2003

Stephen,

I'm not sure that I understand the question. The default proportion in
eBayes is not the false discovery rate, as you probably already know. You
are free to select as many genes as you like your topTable from limma,
going as far down into the higher false discovery rates as you like. Just
change the 'number' parameter to ask for more genes. The Benjamini and
Hochberg idea is that, wherever you stop, you have controlled the FDR at
that level. (Note however that this makes assumptions which are not true
for microarray data.) There is no 0.05 default in limma.

Regards
Gordon