[Bioc-sig-seq] edgeR Warning Messages from maximizeInterpolant called from estimateGLMTagwiseDisp

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Jul 23 06:07:24 CEST 2011

Hi Sean,

No, we do not provide a means for users to pass arguments to
maximizeInterpolant() and, I have no plans to permit this.  My feeling is
that the iteration should provide a reasonable value within ten
iterations, or else there is something wrong and continuing the iteration
will not improve the situation.  For example the requested accuracy of 8
significant figures might not be obtainable in machine precision, in which
case the final iteration is as good as can be achieved.  Your data appears
to be underdispersed, so the estimation of tagwise dispersions is in a
sense degenerate.  Since all the dispersions will be more or less 1e-8, it
doesn't seem very relevant whether each value iteration has converged to 8
significant places.  This numerical accuracy might not be obtainable in
computer precision for such small dispersions.

Best wishes
Gordon

Professor Gordon K Smyth,
Bioinformatics Division,
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Vic 3052, Australia.
Tel: (03) 9345 2326, Fax (03) 9347 0852,
smyth at wehi.edu.au
http://www.wehi.edu.au
http://www.statsci.org/smyth