[Bioc-sig-seq] RangedData versus GenomicRanges/GRanges

Janet Young jayoung at fhcrc.org
Fri Oct 29 03:25:16 CEST 2010

Hi,

I've been on a long long vacation, so I'm a bit more out of the loop
than I usually am.

I've been using RangedData a lot in my code until now to represent
sets of genomic regions spread over multiple chromosomes, and I've
just realized that GenomicRanges has a lot of the same characteristics.

I wanted to ask you all
- whether RangedData and GenomicRanges are pretty much equivalent, or
if there are functions that exist for one but not the other?
- whether I can use pretty much the same code and functions if I
switch everything over to use GenomicRanges?
- are there subtle differences I should be careful of if I make the
switch?

thanks very much,

Janet Young

Dr. Janet Young (Trask lab)

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
1100 Fairview Avenue N., C3-168,
P.O. Box 19024, Seattle, WA 98109-1024, USA.

tel: (206) 667 1471 fax: (206) 667 6524
email: jayoung  ...at...  fhcrc.org

http://www.fhcrc.org/labs/trask/