[Bioc-sig-seq] Normalization paired samples

Mayte Suarez-Farinas farinam at mail.rockefeller.edu
Mon Nov 29 22:18:50 CET 2010

Dear Wolfgang

I am attaching the plots with highlighted DEG tags before and after 3
different normalization procedures, using all samples. In the second
figure., I include the plots for the 3 patients separately before and
after TMM normalization
It looks like the normalization for patient 2 is bad. any idea how I
can solve this?

pdf('Normalization Plots.pdf',height=10,width=10)
layout(matrix(1:4,2,2,byrow=TRUE))
a<-plotSmear(PScounts,
panel.first=grid(),smooth.scatter=FALSE,main='before
normalization',de.tags=deg.tgw)
ma.plot(a$A,a$M,plot.method='add',cex=0)
b<-plotSmear(d.PS, panel.first=grid(),smooth.scatter=FALSE,main='after
TMM',de.tags=deg.tgw)
ma.plot(b$A,b$M,plot.method='add',cex=0)
rm(b)
b<-plotSmear(d.PS.2,
panel.first=grid(),smooth.scatter=FALSE,main='after
RLE',de.tags=deg.tgw)
ma.plot(b$A,b$M,plot.method='add',cex=0)
rm(b)
b<-plotSmear(d.PS.3,
panel.first=grid(),smooth.scatter=FALSE,main='after
quantile',de.tags=deg.tgw)
ma.plot(b$A,b$M,plot.method='add',cex=0)
rm(b)
dev.off()

pdf('Normalization Plots TMM by pairs.pdf',height=10,width=14)
layout(matrix(1:6,2,3,byrow=TRUE))
a<-plotSmear(PScounts[,c(1,4)],
panel.first=grid(),smooth.scatter=FALSE,main='Patient1 before',
de.tags=deg.tgw, ylim=c(-10,10))
ma.plot(a$A,a$M,plot.method='add',cex=0)
rm(a)
a<-plotSmear(PScounts[,c(2,5)],
panel.first=grid(),smooth.scatter=FALSE,main='Patient2 before',
de.tags=deg.tgw, ylim=c(-10,10))
ma.plot(a$A,a$M,plot.method='add',cex=0)
rm(a)
a<-plotSmear(PScounts[,c(3,6)],
panel.first=grid(),smooth.scatter=FALSE,main='Patient3 before',
de.tags=deg.tgw, ylim=c(-10,10))
ma.plot(a$A,a$M,plot.method='add',cex=0)
rm(a)
b<-plotSmear(d.PS[,c(1,4)],
panel.first=grid(),smooth.scatter=FALSE,main='Patient1 after',
de.tags=deg.tgw, ylim=c(-10,10))
ma.plot(b$A,b$M,plot.method='add',cex=0)
rm(b)
b<-plotSmear(d.PS[,c(2,5)],
panel.first=grid(),smooth.scatter=FALSE,main='Patient2 after',
de.tags=deg.tgw, ylim=c(-10,10))
ma.plot(b$A,b$M,plot.method='add',cex=0)
rm(b)
b<-plotSmear(d.PS[,c(3,6)],
panel.first=grid(),smooth.scatter=FALSE,main='Patient3 after',
de.tags=deg.tgw, ylim=c(-10,10))
ma.plot(b$A,b$M,plot.method='add',cex=0)
rm(b)
dev.off()

On a completely unrelated note, I had saw the video already, hilarious
  It's a pilot to see if we want to move to this technology right now,
so it's difficult to convince my bio-collaborator to go beyond 3 right
now. So far, some important genes that we do not find in affy arrays
because low intensity, also came with zero counts here, even though we
used 80bp. And it's great for me to get familiar with teh analysis
issues, as ou can see...

Mayte Suarez-Farinas
Research Associate, The Rockefeller University
Biostatistician, The Rockefeller University Hospital
1230 York Ave, Box 178,
New York, NY, 10065
+1(212) 327-8213

On Nov 24, 2010, at 7:50 PM, bioc-sig-sequencing-request at r-project.org