[Bioc-sig-seq] Rsamtools

Dykema, Karl Karl.Dykema at vai.org
Wed Jan 27 23:00:53 CET 2010

Hi all,

We have been using Rsamtools to import BAM files also. On previous sequencing runs the BAM files were around 800 megs and I could import the entire BAM with .readAligned_bam(). Our new sequencing data creates larger BAM files and I am unable to import them like before. So, as Steve pointed out to me offline, I probably will need to import the reads from each chromosome individually. Unfortunately it does not seem to be recognizing my chromosome names, error msg below. Has anyone had a similar problem or recognize something that I might be doing incorrectly? Thanks in advance.

> which <- RangesList(chr1=IRanges(start=1,end=247249719))
> params <- ScanBamParam(which=which)
>
> chr1reads <- scanBam("../aln.sorted.nodupes.bam",param=params)
Error in function (bam, tmpl, space, start, end)  : failed to scan BAM
  file: �
  last record: 0
In addition: Warning message:
In function (bam, tmpl, space, start, end)  : 'space' not in BAM header
  file: ../aln.sorted.nodupes.bam
  space: chr1

Karl Dykema
Computational Biologist