[Bioc-sig-seq] Slow/hanged QA on Illumina Data

Harris A. Jaffee hj at jhu.edu
Fri Sep 11 16:56:51 CEST 2009

On UNIX/Linux, which seems to be the case here, you can follow your R
process
externally by attaching with strace (or truss, trace -- whatever it
might be
called), i.e. do "strace -p <pid>".  This should tell you which file
is being
read at the moment, and how well.  You can also do "ls -l /proc/<pid>/
fd" for
a snapshot of the open files.  Or try top or ps (with the right
options).

On Sep 10, 2009, at 6:16 PM, Martin Morgan wrote:

> Pratap, Abhishek wrote:
>> Hi Ivan
>>
>> I suspected it but not 100% sure. My % cpu for R process
>> fluctuates btwn (60-100) and swap usage looks ok to me.
>>
>> I remember there was some talk on the mailing list that dev
>> version (R/ShortRead) is a lot faster.
>
> Hi Abhishek,
>
> My experience is in the 5 minutes / lane range for qa, so it would
> seem
> to be running a long time. The ... arguments to qa are passed to the
> function that reads individual files (readAligned), so you can
> include a
> verbose=TRUE argument for a bit more chat. You might write a short
> script along the lines of
>
>   gcinfo(TRUE)
>   library(ShortRead)
>   dirPath <- "some/directory"
>   pattern <- "<some_pattern>"
>   stopifnot(list.files(dir, pattern) != <files I'm expecting>
>   qa <- qa(dirPath, pattern, type=<my type>, verbose=TRUE)
>   save(qa, file=<some file>)
>
> Try running this from the command line
>
>   R -f MyScript.R
>
> the gcinfo(TRUE) will cause R to start printing messages about
>
> Garbage collection 3 = 2+0+1 (level 0) ...
> 7.4 Mbytes of cons cells used (39%)
> 1.3 Mbytes of vectors used (21%)
> Garbage collection 4 = 3+0+1 (level 0) ...
> 10.3 Mbytes of cons cells used (55%)
>
> which indicates that R is busy managing it's memory even before
> starting
> to do real work. So give R more memory until it quiets down
>
>   R --min-nsize=20M --min-vsize=4G -f MyScript.R
>
> (these values are my best guess at what is appropriate, the M is
> 'million', the 'G' Giga).
>
> qa() should be reading one file at a time, so the memory
> requirement is
> for the largest (product of reads and cycles) lane. You should be able
> to get a handle on the size of that using readAligned().
>
> How many reads and cycles are there in your data?
>
> Martin
>
>> Thanks,
>> -Abhi

>>> US.U
>>> TF-8;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_N
>>> AME=
>>> C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFI
>>> CATI