[Bioc-sig-seq] Slow/hanged QA on Illumina Data

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Sep 11 00:16:06 CEST 2009

Pratap, Abhishek wrote:
> Hi Ivan
>
> I suspected it but not 100% sure. My % cpu for R process fluctuates btwn (60-100) and swap usage looks ok to me.
>
> I remember there was some talk on the mailing list that dev version (R/ShortRead) is a lot faster.

Hi Abhishek,

My experience is in the 5 minutes / lane range for qa, so it would seem
to be running a long time. The ... arguments to qa are passed to the
function that reads individual files (readAligned), so you can include a
verbose=TRUE argument for a bit more chat. You might write a short
script along the lines of

  gcinfo(TRUE)
  library(ShortRead)
  dirPath <- "some/directory"
  pattern <- "<some_pattern>"
  stopifnot(list.files(dir, pattern) != <files I'm expecting>
  qa <- qa(dirPath, pattern, type=<my type>, verbose=TRUE)
  save(qa, file=<some file>)

Try running this from the command line

  R -f MyScript.R

the gcinfo(TRUE) will cause R to start printing messages about

Garbage collection 3 = 2+0+1 (level 0) ...
7.4 Mbytes of cons cells used (39%)
1.3 Mbytes of vectors used (21%)
Garbage collection 4 = 3+0+1 (level 0) ...
10.3 Mbytes of cons cells used (55%)

which indicates that R is busy managing it's memory even before starting
to do real work. So give R more memory until it quiets down

  R --min-nsize=20M --min-vsize=4G -f MyScript.R

(these values are my best guess at what is appropriate, the M is
'million', the 'G' Giga).

qa() should be reading one file at a time, so the memory requirement is
for the largest (product of reads and cycles) lane. You should be able
to get a handle on the size of that using readAligned().

How many reads and cycles are there in your data?

Martin