[Bioc-sig-seq] 2D plots

gbucci gabriele.bucci at ifom-ieo-campus.it
Wed Aug 26 11:36:02 CEST 2009

Hi Michael and Bogdan.
Excuse me for this little off topic.
I'm wondering if some one of you has already done, or have an idea, on
what should expected to be the correlation between two ChIP-seq
replicated runs.
I mean: if protein1 and protein2 are actually the same protein and we
use the windowing function to count how many reads per 1 kb unit we
have in the two runs I would expect a straight and narrow scatterplot.
The inclination of the fitting line should reflect the abundance of
reads in each run (the line will move toward the axis were we have
more reads).
But what function is better suited to calculate such correlation,
Pearson , Spearman ...?

In a replicated ChIP-Seq experiment, for which I had also a control
lane (i.e. both IP and INPUT), with a big 1Mb window (mm9 genome), I
had a Spearman correlation of 0.99 for IP/IP and 0.94/0.96 for the IP/
INPUT correlation.
The differences in correlation are smaller than what we expect,
especially when looking to scatterplots were the differences are clear
( straight and narrow vs curved and wide).
Changing the window (600K) doesn't change the results, but I never
tried 1 kb.

The questions are what statistical test is more appropriated and what
would you expect for a replicated ChIP-seq experiment?
Any Idea?
Thanks everybody.
Cheers

Gabriel

On Aug 26, 2009, at 7:27 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:

> Well, it would help if we had a few more details, but to calculate the
> number of reads within each 1 kb window of the genome, it's
> something like:
>
> library(BSgenome.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg18) # assuming human
> widths <- rep(1000, seqlengths(Hsapiens)[1]/1000)
> # assuming 'cov' is a coverage Rle for chr1
> windows <- successiveViews(cov, widths)
> x <- viewSums(windows)/1000
>
> That should get you the numbers you need for that scatterplot.
>
> Michael
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Bogdan Tanasa <tanasa at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> please could you let me know if there is any way to represent in a
>> 2D plot
>> the number of ChIP-seq tags / 1kb genome window for 2 experiments ?
>> eg :
>>
>> on X axis : the number of tags / 1kb window  for protein 1;
>> on Y axis : the number of tags / 1kb window for protein 2;
>>
>> thanks very much.
>>
>> -- bogdan
>>
>>       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]