[Bioc-devel] Package size issue

G@briei@Viii@mii m@iii@g oii mdc-berii@@de G@briei@Viii@mii m@iii@g oii mdc-berii@@de
Fri Mar 29 00:16:43 CET 2024

Hi!

This is my first message to the mailing list so apologies if I am breaking any guidelines.

I am submitting a package called Ribostan and the build report gives an error that the package tarball exceeds the size requirement. I am also being warned that individual package files exceed the 5MB size limit.

The total size of a fresh clone of my package is 5.9MB, but 3.9MB of that is from the single packfile in .git/objects/pack. As I understand, the packfile contains the history of all files that have ever been in the repository, including files that have been deleted.

I am wondering if this packfile is what is inflating my package size in the build and whether there is a solution to reduce its size. In case it is relevant: at some point a 1.38MB bam file was committed to the repo as toy data for running examples, but has since been deleted. I am also wondering why an individual file is reported to be exceeding 5MB when I don’t see any such file in my repo.

Any advice would be very welcome!

Best regards,
Gabriel