[Bioc-devel] Urgent minor deployment of a release?

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jun 20 07:34:01 CEST 2023

On Mon, Jun 19, 2023 at 5:46 PM Vincent Carey
<stvjc using channing.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Hi Adam, thanks for your note.
>
> Changes to release branch sources must be limited to bug fixes or doc
> improvement.  Any new features
> must be introduced only in the devel branch.

I know about this, but I wanted to find what the document exactly says
about this. I'm sure it's documented somewhere, but I just spend 10-15
min on the website trying, but I couldn't find it.  What I was looking
specifically for was "new features".  For instance, would one be
allowed to introduce a 100% backward compatible new features to the
Bioc release branch? For instance, assume you currently have

h <- function(x, ...) {
  sum(x)
}

in the release branch, would it be okay to add:

h <- function(x, na.rm = FALSE, ...) {
  sum(x, na.rm = na.rm)
}

?  This is how base-R itself does it in their patch releases, e.g. R
4.3.0 -> R 4.3.1.

/Henrik