[Bioc-devel] Warnings in "checking compiled code" of R CMD check

Hervé Pagès hp@ge@@on@g|thub @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Jan 27 07:25:14 CET 2023

Hi Oleksii,

I was contacted off-list by the maintainer of the FLAMES package about
this. The FLAMES package has the same "checking compiled code" WARNING.

I'm just copying my answer below.

Best,

H.

Yes the warning for the C code in Rhtslib actually propagates to any
package that is linked to Rhtslib (via the LinkingTo field). See for
example the CHECK result for Rsamtools:

https://bioconductor.org/checkResults/3.17/bioc-LATEST/Rsamtools/nebbiolo1-checksrc.html

This is because Rsamtools.so and FLAMES.so are statically linked to
Rhtslib, so even if the C code in Rsamtools and FLAMES don't use these
forbidden symbols, they still end up in Rsamtools.so and FLAMES.so.

Nothing can be done on Rsamtools' or FLAMES' side about this, except
using dynamic linking. But this is discouraged because it introduces a
whole set of other problems.

So a proper solution would need to originate in the Rhtslib package
itself. However note that these symbols are not known to actually cause
problems in practice so the situation is not that bad.

All this to say that it's ok to ignore the warning for FLAMES.

Thanks for your contribution to Bioconductor.