[Bioc-devel] Issue with setting Maintainer in new package submission

Andrew Wight @ndrew@w|ght10 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Feb 22 22:53:47 CET 2023

Hi all - I've just had my new package submission error on build with

ERROR: Maintainer must register at the support site; visit
      https://support.bioconductor.org/accounts/signup/

However, I am registered on the support site, so I think I've specified the
maintainer wrong somehow in the DESCRIPTION file, and would appreciate any
help figuring out what I'm messing up here. Relevant files & debugging I've
tried is listed below:

*1. Package DESCRIPTION file:*

Package: flowGate
Type: Package
Title: Interactive Cytometry Gating in R
Version: 0.99.0
Authors using R: c(person("Andrew",
                    "Wight",
                    email = "andrew.wight10 using gmail.com",
                    role = c("aut", "cre")),
             person("Harvey",
                    "Cantor",
                    email = "Harvey_Cantor using dfci.harvard.edu",
                    role = c("ldr")))
    GUI-based gating of flow cytometry data in R. Using flowGate,
    you can draw 1D and 2D span/rectangle gates, quadrant gates,
    and polygon gates on flow cytometry data by interactively drawing
    the gates on a plot of your data, rather than by specifying gate
    coordinates. This package is especially geared toward wet-lab
    cytometerists looking to take advantage of R for cytometry
    analysis, without necessarily having a lot of R experience.
License: MIT + file LICENSE
Encoding: UTF-8
LazyData: false
Imports:
    shiny (>= 1.5.0),
    BiocManager (>= 1.30.10),
    flowCore (>= 2.0.1),
    dplyr (>= 1.0.0),
    ggplot2 (>= 3.3.2),
    rlang (>= 0.4.7),
    purrr,
    tibble,
    methods
Depends:
    flowWorkspace (>= 4.0.6),
    ggcyto (>= 1.16.0),
    R (>= 4.2)
RoxygenNote: 7.2.3
Suggests:
    knitr,
    rmarkdown,
    stringr,
    tidyverse,
    testthat
VignetteBuilder: knitr
biocViews:
    Software,
    WorkflowStep,
    FlowCytometry,
    Preprocessing,
    ImmunoOncology,
    DataImport

*2. Confirming that I'm registered to the support site:*
https://support.bioconductor.org/api/email/andrew.wight10%40gmail.com/
returns TRUE

*3. Some debugging I've done:*

   - calling maintainer("flowGate") returns an empty character, but calling
   desc::desc_get_maintainer() correctly returns me as the maintainer
   - Adding a "Maintainer: Andrew Wight <andrew.wight10 using gmail.com>" line to
   the DESCRIPTION file completely corrects this error in BiocCheck but then
   introduces a new error (since BiocCheck doesn't want me to use the
   Maintainer field)
   - Taken together, this suggests that I've specified the maintainer wrong
   in Authors using R, but for the life of me the only way I can see to do it is
   to add role = "cre" to one of the authors which I've done

Again, huge thanks for any help pointing me in the correct direction for
fixing this!

-Andrew