[Bioc-devel] Including large files for the package

Ali Sajid Imami @||@@@j|d@|m@m| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Aug 29 04:14:06 CEST 2023

Hi BioConductor Team,

I am a PhD Candidate in the Cognitive Disorders Research lab at the
university of Toledo. I am responsible for a number of R packages and our
intention is to submit them to bioconductor over the next several months. I
had just submitted a package drugfindR (
https://github.com/CogDisResLab/drugfindR). This was immediately closed as
my repo had a single file over the 5MB limit.

I wanted to ask both if you would reconsider/make an exception or guide me
in the right direction.

This package serves as a way to quickly learch through the LINCS data
stored at the ilincs.org portal. The file in question is one of three
metadata files that allows the package to function efficiently and without
having to go through the expensive network requests. It would really be
helpful if we could include the file as is. I do not expect more files like
that to be added to the package at all.

Barring that, I have seen the suggestion of using AnnotationHub or
ExperimentHub. While I have gone through the documentation, I'm not
entirely sure how those services work. Are those services where we can
store the data itself or we are expected to host the data elsewhere and
create lightweight "pointer" packages. Similarly, I'm not entirely sure
which Hub this would go to.

Any advice or guidance will be appreciated.

Regards,
Dr. Ali Sajid Imami
LinkedIn <https://pk.linkedin.com/pub/ali-sajid-imami/50/956/2a6>