[Bioc-devel] Version number trouble

Vincent Carey @tvjc @end|ng |rom ch@nn|ng@h@rv@rd@edu
Mon Oct 10 18:26:32 CEST 2022

Hi Mirko -- the devel branch has an odd y in x.y.z

stvjc using stvjc-XPS-13-9300:~/BIOC_SOURCES$ cd BindingSiteFinder
stvjc using stvjc-XPS-13-9300:~/BIOC_SOURCES/BindingSiteFinder$ grep Version DE*
Version: 1.3.0
stvjc using stvjc-XPS-13-9300:~/BIOC_SOURCES/BindingSiteFinder$ git fetch --all
Fetching origin

The current release branch has an even y in x.y.z

stvjc using stvjc-XPS-13-9300:~/BIOC_SOURCES/BindingSiteFinder$ git checkout
RELEASE_3_15
Branch 'RELEASE_3_15' set up to track remote branch 'RELEASE_3_15' from
'origin'.
Switched to a new branch 'RELEASE_3_15'
stvjc using stvjc-XPS-13-9300:~/BIOC_SOURCES/BindingSiteFinder$ grep Version DE*
Version: 1.2.0
stvjc using stvjc-XPS-13-9300:~/BIOC_SOURCES/BindingSiteFinder$ git remote -v
origin git using git.bioconductor.org:packages/BindingSiteFinder (fetch)
origin git using git.bioconductor.org:packages/BindingSiteFinder (push)

By managing the current checkout you can make changes in a selected branch,
incrementing z in x.y.z in the associated DESCRIPTION file as necessary

Full details at
https://contributions.bioconductor.org/git-version-control.html

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 12:19 PM Brüggemann, Mirko <
mirko.brueggemann using bmls.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m having some troubles updating my package(BindingSiteFinder) on the
> devel branch.
>
> I’ve made some changes to the code and as always incremented the z part of
> the version number. Then I realized that the y part of the version number
> was already changed by the Bioconductor team (to 1.3.0). I guess in
> preparation for the new release. So, I left the version number like this,
> to not mess things up.
>
> Now my package does compile without errors or warnings, but my changes do
> not show on the devel landing page. Also, I still want to push some more
> changes prior to the upcoming release.
>
> My question is how do I properly set the version numbers here? Do I keep
> it with the y part set to the new release and then increment the z part (so
> 1.3.0 to 1.3.1?), or do I go back to the lates version number? Since I did
> not push any changes in the last cycle it would then be 1.2.1. And if I do
> will the package still build in the new release?
>
> Maybe someone knows what to do here?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance
> Mirko

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the ...{{dropped:18}}