[Bioc-devel] BiocManager::install() behavior with available updates

Matej Lexa |ex@ @end|ng |rom ||@mun|@cz
Sat Nov 12 17:36:49 CET 2022

Dear all,

I encountered strange behavior of BiocManager::install(). When I ask it
to install a package that is flagged as one with available updates, it
gives me the option to upgrade immediately after I install the latest
version. Not a big deal but thought it should not offer that
possibility. See my latest test:

==========

 > BiocManager::install("VennDiagram")
'getOption("repos")' replaces Bioconductor standard repositories, see
'?repositories' for details

replacement repositories:
     CRAN: https://cloud.r-project.org

Bioconductor version 3.16 (BiocManager 1.30.19), R 4.2.2 (2022-10-31)
Installing package(s) 'VennDiagram'
trying URL
'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/VennDiagram_1.7.3.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 78508 bytes (76 KB)
downloaded 76 KB

* installing *source* package ‘VennDiagram’ ...
** package ‘VennDiagram’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
** R
** data
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** testing if installed package can be loaded from temporary location
** testing if installed package can be loaded from final location
** testing if installed package keeps a record of temporary installation
path
* DONE (VennDiagram)

The downloaded source packages are in
     ‘/tmp/RtmpaW1s0x/downloaded_packages’