[Bioc-devel] [External] DSS Bioconductor package

Nitesh Turaga ntur@g@@b|oc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon May 23 17:22:19 CEST 2022

Please note that depending on the “type” of parallel computation you are using, it may not work on Windows.

You could say something along the lines of (https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/base/html/Platform.html <https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/base/html/Platform.html>)

	if(.Platform$OS.type == "unix") {
		## <do some parallel computation>
	}
	else {
	        ## This will be windows
		## Use serial param or do not use any parallel functions, just use ‘lapply’
		## result should be of the same “type” from both the if and else statements.
	}

Note:  Params listed are supported on all of Unix, Mac and Windows except MulticoreParam which is Unix and Mac only. I do not think “forked” processes are available on windows. Even The mclapply() function (and related mc* functions) works via the fork mechanism on Unix-style operating systems.

(https://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/vignettes/BiocParallel/inst/doc/Introduction_To_BiocParallel.pdf <https://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/vignettes/BiocParallel/inst/doc/Introduction_To_BiocParallel.pdf>).

Nitesh Turaga
Scientist II, Department of Data Science,
Bioconductor Core Team Member
Dana Farber Cancer Institute