[Bioc-devel] nebbiolo SSL-related build error

Karl Stamm k@r|@@t@mm @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Mar 30 22:11:26 CEST 2022

I have a new build error that is somewhat environment specific;
failing only on nebbiolo and not for Windows nor Mac.

The error message states only " SSL certificate problem: unable to get
local issuer certificate "

My package, during a rather long process, includes a call to biomart with
biomaRt::useMart("ENSEMBL_MART_ENSEMBL", host="https://www.ensembl.org")

In a previous version I did not specify "https" but simply 'www', and
we did not have any build errors, but Ensembl was throwing warnings
(recently?) that an https specification will become mandatory.
I guess nebbiolo has some SSL inability, which puts me in a bind, to
either use a deprecated interface and hope Ensembl keeps working, or
seek whatever problem we're having during the builds.

Thanks for your insight.