[Bioc-devel] Question on GPL2 license copyright

Vincent Carey @tvjc @end|ng |rom ch@nn|ng@h@rv@rd@edu
Wed Jul 27 18:24:26 CEST 2022

I have been in touch with the parties concerned with this licensing problem.
I will get back to the list when we have some resolution.  Thank you all
for your comments.

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 8:53 AM Meng, Chen <mengchen18 using gmail.com> wrote:

> I think if the package copied you code is also published in GPL license
> and other people can access all the code of that package (it's likely
> the case in bioconductor), then there is no problem.
>
> Best,
> Chen
>
> On 27.07.22 17:18, Jiping Wang wrote:
> > Not to my understanding. The core codes (Fortran) from my package were
> identically copied with only function name change in their package. If they
> call functions or import functions from my package, that’s not an issue.
> But instead they just copied my codes and made their package.
> >
> > From: Jianhong Ou, Ph.D. <jianhong.ou using duke.edu>
> > Date: Wednesday, July 27, 2022 at 10:15 AM
> > To: Jiping Wang <jzwang using northwestern.edu>, bioc-devel using r-project.org <
> bioc-devel using r-project.org>
> > Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] Question on GPL2 license copyright
> > Does that package import or depend on your package?
> >
> > From: Bioc-devel <bioc-devel-bounces using r-project.org> on behalf of Jiping
> Wang <jzwang using northwestern.edu>
> > Date: Wednesday, July 27, 2022 at 11:03 AM
> > To: bioc-devel using r-project.org <bioc-devel using r-project.org>
> > Subject: [Bioc-devel] Question on GPL2 license copyright
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a general question about Bioconductor package copyright. I have a
> Bioconductor package. I recently found most of the core codes of my package
> have been mostly copied and packaged into another package and published in
> Bioconductor. Although the new package says it�s a �derivative� of my
> package. But does it violate the copyright under GPL-2?  Thanks.
> >
> > Best,
> > Ji-Ping Wang
> >

> >          [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the ...{{dropped:18}}