[Bioc-devel] Question on GPL2 license copyright

Egon Willighagen egon@w||||gh@gen @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 27 17:23:47 CEST 2022

If that code is not GPL2 and therefore the full package too, then that's a
license infringement.

Wrapping GPL code in other code is generally only allowed when: 1. clean
room reimplementation of the ideas (from what you say not the case), 2. the
reused code has a clean API and can be easily be replaced by something else
(does not seem to be the case either).

Egon

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 at 17:18, Jiping Wang <jzwang using northwestern.edu> wrote:

> Not to my understanding. The core codes (Fortran) from my package were
> identically copied with only function name change in their package. If they
> call functions or import functions from my package, that’s not an issue.
> But instead they just copied my codes and made their package.
>
> From: Jianhong Ou, Ph.D. <jianhong.ou using duke.edu>
> Date: Wednesday, July 27, 2022 at 10:15 AM
> To: Jiping Wang <jzwang using northwestern.edu>, bioc-devel using r-project.org <
> bioc-devel using r-project.org>
> Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] Question on GPL2 license copyright
> Does that package import or depend on your package?
>
> From: Bioc-devel <bioc-devel-bounces using r-project.org> on behalf of Jiping
> Wang <jzwang using northwestern.edu>
> Date: Wednesday, July 27, 2022 at 11:03 AM
> To: bioc-devel using r-project.org <bioc-devel using r-project.org>
> Subject: [Bioc-devel] Question on GPL2 license copyright
> Hi,
>
> I have a general question about Bioconductor package copyright. I have a
> Bioconductor package. I recently found most of the core codes of my package
> have been mostly copied and packaged into another package and published in
> Bioconductor. Although the new package says it�s a �derivative� of my
> package. But does it violate the copyright under GPL-2?  Thanks.
>
> Best,
> Ji-Ping Wang

----
Super happy with this new eLife paper describing an Open Science project
where we discuss 260 thousand natural products and where they came from,
all 700 thousand pairs linked to their primary literature: "The LOTUS
initiative for open knowledge management in natural products research",
https://doi.org/10.7554/elife.70780

-----
E.L. Willighagen
Department of Bioinformatics - BiGCaT