[Bioc-devel] Automate package check workflow + Dockers for devel-vs-release

Shraddha Pai @hr@ddh@@p@| @end|ng |rom utoronto@c@
Tue Sep 21 23:33:54 CEST 2021

Hi everyone,

Answering my own question in case it's useful for anyone else (and someone
please correct if any errors here).

Looks like the current best practice is to use Github Actions for
automating package test with every git push.
I came across Leonardo Collado-Torres' helpful package "biocthis" which
sets up the basic BioC workflow in one command, along with a link to Jim
Hester's talk on Github Actions at Rstudio Conf 2020.
https://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/biocthis.html
https://www.jimhester.com/talk/2020-rsc-github-actions/

I'm now setting up my package so that a github push triggers a Github
Action to build and test the package on bioc-devel, followed by
building and pushing a Docker image with the package installed.

SO looking forward to not having to do this manually anymore!

Best,Shraddha