[Bioc-devel] bpparam Non-deterministic Default

Ellis Patrick e|||@@p@tr|ck @end|ng |rom @ydney@edu@@u
Sat Nov 27 04:41:34 CET 2021

Hi All,

Sorry I'm not an advanced user. What is the disadvantage of pulling the default from .Random.seed? As a non-advanced user it took me way too long to figure out that set.seed() doesn't work.

Thanks,
Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: Bioc-devel <bioc-devel-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of Spencer Nystrom
Sent: Saturday, 27 November 2021 2:15 PM
To: Dario Strbenac <dstr7320 using uni.sydney.edu.au>
Cc: bioc-devel using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] bpparam Non-deterministic Default

I agree with Martin. I think it is worse for beginners to falsely believe their results are deterministic when they are not. This sounds like a problem that should be solved with documentation and maybe even examples of setting the RNG seed manually.

I also worry about advanced users and pollution of RNG seed global state by having packages assign their own seed. Just sounds like a mess for little gain.

  -Spencer