[Bioc-devel] Updating stable release

James W. MacDonald jm@cdon @end|ng |rom uw@edu
Wed Jul 14 22:01:43 CEST 2021

The release version of your package is 1.8.0, and the devel is on increment ahead (e.g., 1.9.x). You cannot increment the middle version number of your release package because that makes it a devel package, hence the pre-release hook denying your changes.

You should change the version to 1.8.1 for the release version.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Bioc-devel <bioc-devel-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of margaret linan
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 12:56 PM
To: bioc-devel <bioc-devel using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] Updating stable release

Hi -

I successfully updated my devel PoTRA package recently, now I am trying to push these same changes to the stable PoTRA package. I am encountering the following issue (see highlight below).
Note - in the github PoTRA repo, I have pulled and merged from head --> RELEASE_3_13. Also the devel commit never had a problem with my version bump.

Already on 'master'
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'.

Switched to branch 'RELEASE_3_13'
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/RELEASE_3_13'.

Enumerating objects: 1, done.
Counting objects: 100% (1/1), done.
Writing objects: 100% (1/1), 641 bytes | 641.00 KiB/s, done.
Total 1 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
remote: Error: Illegal version bump from '1.8.0' to '1.9.1'.
remote:
remote: Check http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/version-numbering/
remote: for details.
remote:
To git.bioconductor.org:packages/PoTRA.git
 ! [remote rejected] RELEASE_3_13 -> RELEASE_3_13 (pre-receive hook
declined)
error: failed to push some refs to 'git.bioconductor.org:packages/PoTRA.git'

Thanks,
Margaret