[Bioc-devel] reacVcf(remoteFile, "hg19", region) fails in VariantAnnotation 1.39.0 (and friends), works with 1.38.0

Martin Morgan mtmorg@n@b|oc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jul 13 12:33:11 CEST 2021

This 'worked for me' on my macOS and on the Bioconductor docker image after BiocManager::install("VariantAnnotation")

The relevant packages are Rsamtools and Rhtslib, but these have gone through very little change.

The shortest way to get to the call is through Rsamtools

  url = "https://igv-data.systemsbiology.net/static/ampad/test/chr2.vcf.gz"
  b = open(BcfFile(url))

This goes immediately into C code and (the quite old now) htslib. I looked at the C code briefly, and there is no easy way to extract more information about the reason for failure.

I don't really have any great insight to offer here; superficially it sounds like the server is sometimes rejecting connections, and these have happened to line up with OS.

Martin Morgan