[Bioc-devel] Devel version of R for package development

Matesi, Gregory GREGORY@MATESI @end|ng |rom UCDENVER@EDU
Tue Feb 23 21:40:48 CET 2021

Ah, thank you for the good advice.

Best,
Greg
________________________________
From: Vincent Carey <stvjc using channing.harvard.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 11:32 AM
To: Matesi, Gregory <GREGORY.MATESI using UCDENVER.EDU>
Cc: bioc-devel using r-project.org <bioc-devel using r-project.org>; Arriaga Mackenzie, Ian <IAN.ARRIAGAMACKENZIE using UCDENVER.EDU>
Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] Devel version of R for package development

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 11:25 AM Matesi, Gregory <GREGORY.MATESI using ucdenver.edu<mailto:GREGORY.MATESI using ucdenver.edu>> wrote:
Hello all,

I had a question about package development using the devel version of bioconductor. We are encouraged to add dependence to the version of R that is used by the devel branch of Bioconductor, e.g. R version 4.1. This means developing using a version of R that is not released yet. Users downloading our package from Github get the following error message.
Do we revert to the current R version after the package is out of the development stage? Or are we supposed to leave the dependence on the devel version of R?

Your github repo can have branches that address the different R versions and you can use the ref= parameter of install_github to get the appropriate
one.

There are other approaches and others will surely provide additional guidance.

> install_github("https://github.com/hendriau/Summix.git")

Installing package into �C:/Users/Gregory/Documents/R/win-library/4.0�
(as �lib� is unspecified)
ERROR: this R is version 4.0.3, package 'Summix' requires R >= 4.1
Error: Failed to install 'Summix' from GitHub:
  (converted from warning) installation of package �C:/Users/Gregory/AppData/Local/Temp/RtmpMTpKWs/file3ce813c62fbf/Summix_0.99.9.tar.gz� had non-zero exit status

Thank you,
Greg