[Bioc-devel] Question reg devtools in MacOS High Sierra

Martin Morgan mtmorg@n@b|oc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Feb 12 00:45:31 CET 2021

The error says

 unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.1/Resources/library/openssl/libs/openssl.so':

so it's having trouble loading the openssl R package. There are installation instructions for this package at

  https://github.com/jeroen/openssl#readme

(I found this from the CRAN package landing page https://cran.r-project.org/package=openssl 'URL' field) There it says that to install on macOS you need to

  brew install openssl

In general the strategy is to start at the first ERROR that occurs, and carefully try to 'decode' what it is trying to tell you.

The problem you are running into is that the 'release' version of macOS CRAN packages are generally available as pre-built 'binary' packages, so you don't have to do anything special to make them work. The 'devel' version of macOS CRAN packages are not available for binary installation, so you have to have additional system dependencies like libgit2 and openssl also installed.

Martin