[Bioc-devel] lazy loading failure on macOS

Waldir Leoncio Netto w@|@netto @end|ng |rom med|@|n@u|o@no
Tue Apr 27 11:15:08 CEST 2021

Dear all,

Our recently-accepted package (cellmigRation) fails when installing and building on the machv2 (macOS) machine. Unfortunately, the report on http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/cellmigRation/machv2-install.html isn't much helpful to me, as it simply says "ERROR: lazy loading failed for package ‘cellmigRation’" and quits.

I don't have Apple devices around, so I don't think I could use the instructions on https://bioconductor.org/checkResults/3.13/bioc-LATEST/Renviron.bioc to reproduce the issue. If I dowgrade the R 4.1 dependency and use rhub to check the package on macos-highsierra-release (rhub doesn't seem to provide an R-devel macOS platform), it passes with a warning. I think this is where the problem lies, as Bioconductor checks tend to fail on warnings IIRC:

W checking whether package ‘cellmigRation’ can be installed (25.3s)
Found the following significant warnings:
Warning: 'rgl.init' failed, running with 'rgl.useNULL = TRUE'.
See ‘/Users/userh9mZWtKO/cellmigRation.Rcheck/00install.out’ for details.

Following the documentation here<https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/rgl/versions/0.105.22/topics/rgl.init> and here<https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/rgl/versions/0.100.54/topics/rgl.useNULL>, I see two solutions:

1) Install XQuartz;
2) either set the R option rgl.useNULL or the environment variable RGL_USE_NULL to TRUE.

Looks like the second option is the most appropriate for this case, but I do not know how I could pass this on to the machv2 machine. If I understood correctly, this is only a problem on headless servers, so PCs running macOS would probably install the package fine.

Does anyone have experience solving this issue?

Best regards,
Waldir