[Bioc-devel] Git pack file greater than 5MB

McGrath, Max MAX@MCGRATH @end|ng |rom UCDENVER@EDU
Wed Sep 30 18:46:15 CEST 2020

Hi all,

We have a package that is ready for submission, but when running BiocCheck a warning is generated noting that "The following files are over 5MB in size: '.git/objects/pack/pack-xxx...". I've pruned, repacked, and run git gc which reduced the file size from 5.2 to 5.1MB, but I have been unable to reduce it further.

I'm reaching out to determine if this is an issue, and if so to ask for recommendations for solving it. Currently, the only solution I've come up with is to rewrite the repository's history using a tool like "git-filter-repo", but this is a more drastic action than I would prefer to take. I would greatly appreciate any advice on the matter.

Thank you,
Max McGrath