[Bioc-devel] Git pack file greater than 5MB

Martin Morgan mtmorg@n@b|oc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Oct 1 18:32:41 CEST 2020

yes Hervé has made this point too -- mucking with the history of the package, potentially breaking historical checkouts (when large files are deleted from the history, too).

It's relevant because when a package is added to our repository we do a full clone of the master branch; an alternative would be to do a --depth 1 clone of the master branch, but to me this doesn't seem ideal at all -- from the Bioconductor perspective the git.bioconductor.org package is definitive, and all we would have would be 'and then a miracle occurred' for early package development. I'm also nervous about side-effects associated with maintaining the Bioconductor and non-Bioconductor repositories that have different historical starts.

My own feel is that most of these cases are packages that are still 'new' and seldom have clones / forks.

One could take a hybrid approach, where if a maintainer insists on the integrity of their git repository (or even automatically, if they do have large files in their history we automatically change strategy) then we do a --depth 1 clone.

Martin