[Bioc-devel] Python dependency

Hervé Pagès hp@ge@ @end|ng |rom |redhutch@org
Tue Mar 24 19:06:05 CET 2020

Hi,

Yes Bioconductor packages can depend on Python modules. This should only
happen behind the scene and be transparent to the end user (i.e. the end
user is not expected to interact directly with the Python module).

You can use reticulate (from CRAN) directly or, even better, use
basilisk (from Bioconductor):

   https://bioconductor.org/packages/basilisk

basilisk was only added to the devel version of Bioconductor recently.
It aims at automating module installation on the end user machine and on
the Bioconductor build machines (if you use reticulate directly, we
would need to manually install the Python modules on the build machines).

Cheers,
H.

--
Hervé Pagès