[Bioc-devel] RcppAnnoy changed in CRAN from 0.0.14 to 0.0.15, and might have broken some packages

Aaron Lun |n||n|te@monkey@@w|th@keybo@rd@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Feb 28 07:39:48 CET 2020

This is a minor RcppAnnoy issue that should be fixed soon, hopefully.

Incidentally, this little episode has highlighted the advantages of
Bioconductor's release/devel configuration. If the upstream dependency
was a Bioc package, its updates are unlikely to break downstream
packages in release. We are only broken in release right now because
RcppAnnoy is a CRAN package and lies outside the release/devel cycle.

Of course, that is not to say that we shouldn't use CRAN packages. That
brings me to my second point: BiocNeighbors explicitly serves as a
wrapper for this dependency, and if I did not have faith in the
RcppAnnoy maintainers to respond in a timely manner, I could just modify
BiocNeighbors so that its Annoy functionality diverts to some other
algorithm. This ensures that downstream packages that were using Annoy
via BiocNeighbors can continue to operate - albeit with altered results
due to the change in algorithm, but at least they don't break.

Right now, I do have faith in the RcppAnnoy maintainers so I have
refrained from modifying BiocNeighbors in BioC-release. But the key
point is that I can pull the trigger at any time.

-A