[Bioc-devel] Runnable examples

Martin Morgan mtmorg@n@b|oc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Aug 6 17:44:21 CEST 2020

My view of shiny applications is that they should provide a graphical interface to sequences of commands that can be run at the command line. As such, the commands themselves should be part of a standard R package, with appropriate examples, tests, and documentation, including a vignette illustrating their use at the command line.

One could differentiate the command to launch the shiny app from the 'internal' but exported functions that the shiny app is based upon in various ways, e.g., by prefacing the internal commands with a '.' or other prefix.

Presumably there are several functions that the shiny app encapsulates so that, by the time these are documented and tested, the requirement that 80% of man pages have such examples will be satisfied.

Martin Morgan