[Bioc-devel] New Mac builder and availability of Mac binary packages

Hervé Pagès hp@ge@ @end|ng |rom |redhutch@org
Thu Apr 9 23:13:06 CEST 2020

Hello Bioconductor developers,

As you've probably noticed already, we're building BioC 3.11 on Mac again:

   https://bioconductor.org/checkResults/3.11/bioc-LATEST/

The build target now is High Sierra (used to be El Capitan), like for
the official Mac built of R 4.0.0 alpha (available here
https://mac.r-project.org/) and for the Mac binary packages available on
CRAN. This means that the binaries we produce are only compatible with
High Sierra or higher, as long as you're using the official Mac built of
R 4.0.0.

IMPORTANT: CRAN and Bioconductor binary packages for Mac are NOT meant
to be used with an R 4.0.0 installed from source (they're likely to
crash your session, typically at load time).

Using BiocManager::install() with the official Mac built of R 4.0.0 will
pick up binary packages from CRAN and Bioconductor 3.11. It will fall
back on source packages only when the binaries are not available.

Please let us know if you run into any problem with this.

Cheers,
H.

--
Hervé Pagès