[Bioc-devel] How can I maintain a stable list of source urls

Mike Smith gr|mbough @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Apr 3 13:49:08 CEST 2020

I was talking with another nix user a while back about this problem, and I
don't think there's a good solution at the moment.

One thing that strikes me is that when release packages get updated the old
versions get put in an archive and the source tarball remains available
e.g.
https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.10/bioc/src/contrib/Archive/biomaRt/
Currently
this archive is only created if a package is updated during the release
cycle.  Would it be sufficient for all packages to get an archive URL as
default?  Then if they aren't updated during a release cycle that URL is
fine, and if there are updates you get a new link to the new package source.

Something I'm not clear about is when you say this could be affected by
"changes inside the repo that affect the hash output".  AFAIK a new tarball
will only propagate to the download page if the version number has been
bumped, and so a new link will be generated.  I'm not sure how it's
possible to get a tarball with the same name but a different hash.