[Bioc-devel] How can I maintain a stable list of source urls

Neumann, Steffen @neum@nn @end|ng |rom |pb-h@||e@de
Wed Apr 1 14:27:58 CEST 2020

Hi,

this sounds very much like the bioconda approach,
they have self-archived / mirrored the packages,
which is not ideal.

The Bio.tools people also ran into that issue earlier,
and as mentioned in [1] is now fixed on the bioconductor side
with stable download links.

Yours,
Steffen

[1] https://github.com/bio-tools/biotoolsRegistry/issues/425#issuecomment-557270484

On Tue, 2020-03-31 at 12:27 -0700, Tim Sears wrote:
> Hi
> I am working to make bioconductor packages available through the nix
> package manager (https://nixos.org/). Currently nixpkgs points to a
> source
> url on one of the bioconductor mirrors. nixpkgs tracks the url and a
> sha256
> hash of the unpacked source link. Unfortunately the links themselves
> often
> disappear as the packages get updated either due to a version number
> change
> or changes inside the repo that affect the hash output. This breaks
> corresponding nix package. This happens even for stable bioconductor
> versions like 3.10. nixpkgs aims for reproducible builds, which means
> when
> things change, the url should reflect the change too and the contents
> behich old urls should be preserved long enough to manage
> the  change. Do
> you have any suggestions short of rebuilding a bioconductor mirror
> with
> immutable urls?
>
> Thanks,
> TIm
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Current bits of interest:

* PSI Spring Meeting Online, 23.-25.03.2020,
  http://www.psidev.info/hupo-psi-meeting-2020

* Annual symposium of German Society for Metabolomics e.V. (DGMet)
  in Berlin 4.-5th November. https://www.mdc-berlin.de/dgmet-2020

---
IPB Halle                    Bioinformatics and Scientific Data
Dr. Steffen Neumann          http://www.IPB-Halle.DE
*** Working from Home, available by Mail, Phone, Video Calls ***
Weinberg 3                   Tel. +49 (0) 345 5582 - 1470
06120 Halle                       +49 (0) 345 5582 - 0
sneumann(at)IPB-Halle.DE     Fax. +49 (0) 345 5582 - 1409