[Bioc-devel] Large file problem in git

Turaga, Nitesh N|te@h@Tur@g@ @end|ng |rom Ro@we||P@rk@org
Mon Sep 30 20:43:56 CEST 2019

Try BFG cleaner https://rtyley.github.io/bfg-repo-cleaner/

But I agree with what Herve says. You may use this on your own github repo if you'd like. But leaving it as is, is a good option.

On 9/30/19, 10:57 PM, "Bioc-devel on behalf of Pages, Herve" <bioc-devel-bounces using r-project.org on behalf of hpages using fredhutch.org> wrote:

    Hi Jelena,

    The .Rproj.user/ folder and the .git/ folder are 2 different things. Not
    sure exactly which one is causing you problem but they shouldn't.

    The .Rproj.user/ folder is an RStudio thing that should not be added to
    git so make sure it's listed in your .gitignore file.

    The .git folder is a place where the git client stores information about
    your local git clone. What is stored there is really git internal
    business and you should never touch or try to alter the content of this
    folder. Note that there is no need to list this one on your .gitignore
    file because the git client already knows about this folder and will
    ignore it. Nothing in this folder will ever get staged, committed, or
    pushed so having files larger than 5MB there should not be an issue.

    H.

    On 9/30/19 07:35, Cuklina  Jelena wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have a WARNING, caused by the file larger than 5 MB:
    >
    >  From the file name,
    > .Rproj.user/4185876F/ctx/ctx-17050/environment
    >        .git/objects/pack/pack-88dfd7e4c8ad695717e8d77594e9c340fabcc39f.pack
    >
    > it looks like it’s an R project environment file which was out of gitignore at some point, so should be safe to get rid of it. I have quite limited experience with git to judge that fully, so I have two questions:
    > 1) How do I make sure nothing valuable is in this pack?
    > 2) How do I remove it safely?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Jelena.
    >
    > 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]