[Bioc-devel] Large file problem in git

Pages, Herve hp@ge@ @end|ng |rom |redhutch@org
Mon Sep 30 19:26:32 CEST 2019

Hi Jelena,

The .Rproj.user/ folder and the .git/ folder are 2 different things. Not
sure exactly which one is causing you problem but they shouldn't.

The .Rproj.user/ folder is an RStudio thing that should not be added to
git so make sure it's listed in your .gitignore file.

The .git folder is a place where the git client stores information about
your local git clone. What is stored there is really git internal
business and you should never touch or try to alter the content of this
folder. Note that there is no need to list this one on your .gitignore
file because the git client already knows about this folder and will
ignore it. Nothing in this folder will ever get staged, committed, or
pushed so having files larger than 5MB there should not be an issue.

H.

On 9/30/19 07:35, Cuklina  Jelena wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a WARNING, caused by the file larger than 5 MB:
>
>  From the file name,
> .Rproj.user/4185876F/ctx/ctx-17050/environment
>        .git/objects/pack/pack-88dfd7e4c8ad695717e8d77594e9c340fabcc39f.pack
>
> it looks like it’s an R project environment file which was out of gitignore at some point, so should be safe to get rid of it. I have quite limited experience with git to judge that fully, so I have two questions:
> 1) How do I make sure nothing valuable is in this pack?
> 2) How do I remove it safely?
>
> Best regards,
> Jelena.
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]