[Bioc-devel] Reference manual as HTML

Ludwig Geistlinger Ludw|g@Ge|@t||nger @end|ng |rom @ph@cuny@edu
Wed Sep 25 13:31:07 CEST 2019

Dear Bioc-Team,

I repeatedly wondered whether it would be possible to display the reference manual
as HTML instead of PDF on a package's landing page. This is already possible for vignettes.

HTML reference manuals have at least two advantages:

1. links to functions of other package in the man pages of my package would
actually work. Links to functions / classes of other packages of the form

\code{\link{p.adjust}}

or

\code{\linkS4class{SummarizedExperiment}}

within the pdf reference manual currently point nowhere (bring me back to the
first page of the pdf). Within the html reference manual

help(package="myPackage", help_type="html")

these links work as expected, ie bring me to the help pages of functions / classes
of other packages.

2. I could easily refer users to the documentation link of a specific function
(without them having to search through the pdf) such as "check the documentation of
the DESeq function here: https://rdrr.io/bioc/DESeq2/man/DESeq.html".

(where the link would be preferably: bioconductor.org/packages/DESeq2/man/DESeq.html).

Thank you,

Ludwig