[Bioc-devel] Bioc_check on devel - Checking R Version dependency warning

Shepherd, Lori Lor|@Shepherd @end|ng |rom Ro@we||P@rk@org
Wed Mar 27 12:22:42 CET 2019

Bioconductor has release cycles to ensure that packages are building cleaning and working with dependency at any given time.  The version would not have to be updated each release, it is an indication of the version of R used at the time of submission and to give a base line of what versions were minimally working.

Bioconductor builds packages nightly on release and devel branches. we assume any development will be pushed to the devel branch to ensure if a package functionality changes and packages that depend on it may break that there is some indication of that to give package maintainers an environment to update and adapt, and that there is still the release stable environment of working dependencies.

If your package is already in Bioconductor it is safe to ignore this warning when running the testing environment (or if you feel like disabling it you could use the BiocCheck option --no-check-R-ver)  However,  if your package is in the submission tracker we will generally insist on updating this R version dependency for the reasons stated.  For example, there have been many significant changes to R from 3.5 to 3.6 that effected a lot of packages and required some major changes, we would have no way to test or guarantee that a package can work on a previous version and be able to grab all the correct versions of packages for a past point in time (beside current release/devel).  If you really feel strongly about this you could still submit your package and argue your case to the reviewer - we sometimes make an exception but it is not the norm.

Hope this helps with clarification

Cheers,

Lori Shepherd

Bioconductor Core Team