[Bioc-devel] scRNAseq upgrade: give us your single-cell data!

Aaron Lun |n||n|te@monkey@@w|th@keybo@rd@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Jun 14 09:06:48 CEST 2019

We have recently repurposed the scRNAseq package to serve as a general
location for any publicly available single-cell count data. The aim of
this package is to provide convenient functions that directly yield
nicely formatted SingleCellExperiment objects containing count matrices
and relevant metadata, via BioC's ExperimentHub system for easy and
rapid access anywhere in your computer. Our USP compared to other
single-cell data packages is that we'll take anything - and, in fact,
the more customized the original data is, the more we want it!

So, if you find an interesting public dataset that has been - ahem -
"imaginatively" formatted by the original authors, we would welcome a
contribution to the scRNAseq package to make the count data nice and
pretty. This will save other members of the R/Bioconductor community
from pulling their hair out (there's not much left!) if they want to
make use of that data. Contribution guidelines are described in the
scRNAseq vignette at
http://bioconductor.org/packages/devel/data/experiment/html/scRNAseq.html,
and if you more-or-less follow the suggestions, we can do the rest
pretty quickly.

So, give us your tired, your poor, your huddled datasets yearning to
breathe free!

-A & D