[Bioc-devel] support the stable version of R

Alexey Sergushichev @l@ergbox @ending from gm@il@com
Tue Jan 15 08:45:14 CET 2019

Martin,

> Having said that, I'll note that specifying R as a dependency, and a
version of R as a criterion for your package, is really a mis-nomer for a
Bioconductor package -- of course it uses R, and the version of R in use
determines the Bioconductor version(s) that can be used! So a rational
change is to remove R and its version requirement from the DESCRIPTION file
entirely, a strategy taken by I think about 400 of our 1650+ packages.

Oh, it's actually an option not to include an R dependency at all. I find
it non-obvious, given the warning message that suggest to change the
version dependency to R-devel, not mentioning that omitting dependency will
fix the warning too. Should it be put somewhere in BiocCheck message?

Also, given that, I find it even more strange to have such R requirement in
BiocCheck. You are either allowed very strict dependency: R >= R-devel or
very lenient (not specifying any), but nothing in the middle.

Best,
Alexey