[Bioc-devel] Memory usage for bplapply

Lulu Chen luluchen @ending from vt@edu
Fri Jan 4 05:51:41 CET 2019

Dear all,

I met a memory issue for bplapply with SnowParam(). I need to calculate
something from a large matrix many many times. But from the discussions in
https://support.bioconductor.org/p/92587, I learned that bplapply copied
the current and parent environment to each worker thread. Then means the
large matrix in my package will be copied so many times. Do you have better
suggestions in windows platform?

Before I tried to package my code, I used doSNOW package with foreach
%dopar%. It seems to consume less memory in each core (almost the size of
the matrix the task needs). But bplapply seems to copy more then objects in
current environment and the above one level environment. I am very
confused.and just guess it was copying everything.

Thanks for any help!
Best,
Lulu