[Bioc-devel] Question about package dependency

Shepherd, Lori Lor|@Shepherd @end|ng |rom Ro@we||P@rk@org
Tue Feb 19 16:05:17 CET 2019

I believe this type of dependency belongs in the Suggests:  field of the DESCRIPTION file.

Lori Shepherd

Bioconductor Core Team

Roswell Park Cancer Institute

Elm & Carlton Streets

Buffalo, New York 14263

________________________________
From: Bioc-devel <bioc-devel-bounces using r-project.org> on behalf of Xu Ren <xuren2120 using gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 10:01:54 AM
To: bioc-devel using r-project.org
Subject: [Bioc-devel] Question about package dependency

Hi everyone,

I'm developing a Bioconductor package and I have a question about package
dependency. The functions in my package do not depend on ggplot2 but I used
ggplot2 to do some visualization in the package vignette. I'm wondering if
I should import ggplot2 in the DESCRIPTION file. If ggplot2 is not
imported, R CMD check will produce a note:

* checking tests ...

  Running �testthat.R�

 OK

* checking for unstated dependencies in vignettes ... NOTE

'library' or 'require' call not declared from: �ggplot2�

* checking package vignettes in �inst/doc� ... OK

* checking running R code from vignettes ...

If ggplot2 is imported, since it is used only in the vignette, and none of
the function in my package depend on ggplot2, R CMD check generates another
note:

* checking loading without being on the library search path ... OK

* checking dependencies in R code ... NOTE

Namespace in Imports field not imported from: �ggplot2�

  All declared Imports should be used.

* checking S3 generic/method consistency ... OK

* checking replacement functions ... OK

So I'm wondering if ggplot2 should be imported in this case. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Xu Ren