[Bioc-devel] RangedData objects deprecated

Pages, Herve hp@ge@ @end|ng |rom |redhutch@org
Thu Dec 5 21:01:02 CET 2019

On 12/4/19 17:39, Vincent Carey wrote:
> The RangedData objects are still viable with the software you are using,
> but trying
> to set colnames will trigger an error.  In Bioc 3.11 you won't even be able
> to use
> the RangedData class at all.  So an intervention is needed now.
>
> The RangedData objects that were serialized or created in your workflow
> should
> be converted to GRanges or GRangesList as appropriate, using as(...,
> "GRanges")
>
> Code that attempts to set the column names can be changed to use
> colnames(mcols(...))
>
> The ichorCNA package man pages don't include examples and I see no example
> data with the package.
>
> You might get a sense of what needs to be done in the following.
>
> library(GenomicRanges)
>
> ranges <- IRanges(c(1,2,3),c(4,5,6))
>
> filter <- c(1L, 0L, 1L)
>
> score <- c(10L, 2L, NA)
>

> ## constructing RangedData instances
>
> ## no variables
>
> rd <- RangedData(ranges, filter, vals = score) # will not work at all
>
>                             # in Bioc 3.11
>
> gr = as(rd, "GRanges")
>
> colnames(mcols(gr))

Exactly. Note that turning your serialized RangedData objects into
GRanges or GRangesList objects should be a one-time operation, not
something that your make.ichor.summary.R script should do on-the-fly
each time a serialized RangedData object is loaded.

More precisely, you need to proceed in 2 steps:

1. Apply the 'rd <- readRDS(); gr <- as(rd, "GRanges"); saveRDS(gr, )'
sequence on each serialized RangedData instance.

2. Adapt your make.ichor.summary.R script to make it work on GRanges
objects instead of RangedData objects (minor changes usually needed e.g.
'colnames(mcols(gr)) <- value' instead of 'colnames(rd) <- value' as
Vince suggested)

Hope this helps,
H.

> [...]
>> 2:   RangedData objects are deprecated. Please migrate your code to use
>>    GRanges or GRangesList objects instead. See IMPORTANT NOTE in
>>    ?RangedData
>> 3:   RangedData objects are deprecated. Please migrate your code to use
>>    GRanges or GRangesList objects instead. See IMPORTANT NOTE in
>>    ?RangedData
>> 4:   RangedData objects are deprecated. Please migrate your code to use
>>    GRanges or GRangesList objects instead. See IMPORTANT NOTE in
>>    ?RangedData
>> 5:   RangedData objects are deprecated. Please migrate your code to use
>>    GRanges or GRangesList objects instead. See IMPORTANT NOTE in
>>    ?RangedData
>> 6:   RangedData objects are deprecated. Please migrate your code to use
>>    GRanges or GRangesList objects instead. See IMPORTANT NOTE in
>>    ?RangedData
>> 7:   RangedData objects are deprecated. Please migrate your code to use
>>    GRanges or GRangesList objects instead. See IMPORTANT NOTE in
>>    ?RangedData
>> 8:   RangedData objects are deprecated. Please migrate your code to use
>>    GRanges or GRangesList objects instead. See IMPORTANT NOTE in
>>    ?RangedData
>>

>>> sessionInfo()
>> R version 3.6.1 (2019-07-05)
>> Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
>> Running under: CentOS Linux 7 (Core)
>>
>> Matrix products: default
>> BLAS:   /home/bioinformatics/software/R/R-3.6.1/lib64/R/lib/libRblas.so
>> LAPACK: /home/bioinformatics/software/R/R-3.6.1/lib64/R/lib/libRlapack.so
>>
>> locale:
>> [1] LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
>>   [3] LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_GB.UTF-8
>>   [5] LC_MONETARY=en_GB.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_GB.UTF-8
>>   [7] LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
>>   [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
>> [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>>
>> attached base packages:
>> [1] stats4    parallel  stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets
>> [8] methods   base
>>
>> other attached packages:
>> [1] GenomicRanges_1.38.0 GenomeInfoDb_1.22.0  ichorCNA_0.3.2
>>   [4] HMMcopy_1.26.0       geneplotter_1.64.0   annotate_1.64.0
>>   [7] XML_3.98-1.20        AnnotationDbi_1.48.0 lattice_0.20-38
>> [10] Biobase_2.46.0       IRanges_2.20.0       S4Vectors_0.24.0
>> [13] BiocGenerics_0.32.0  data.table_1.12.6

>> [1] Rcpp_1.0.3             pillar_1.4.2           compiler_3.6.1
>>   [4] RColorBrewer_1.1-2     plyr_1.8.4             XVector_0.26.0
>>   [7] zlibbioc_1.32.0        bitops_1.0-6           zeallot_0.1.0
>> [10] digest_0.6.23          bit_1.1-14             RSQLite_2.1.3
>> [13] memoise_1.1.0          tibble_2.1.3           pkgconfig_2.0.3
>> [16] rlang_0.4.2            DBI_1.0.0              GenomeInfoDbData_1.2.2
>> [19] vctrs_0.2.0            bit64_0.9-7            grid_3.6.1
>> [22] blob_1.2.0             backports_1.1.5        xtable_1.8-4
>> [25] RCurl_1.95-4.12        crayon_1.3.4

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology
Division of Public Health Sciences
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center