[Bioc-devel] Resetting to previous commits

Kasper Daniel Hansen k@@perd@n|e|h@n@en @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Aug 14 17:13:34 CEST 2019

You cannot revert. By pushing those updates, you released a version into
the wild. It is true that as long as it doesn't build on the build servers,
it would have been hard to obtain for anyone, but it is still possible
through git. You need to update the version.

Best,
Kasper

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 11:05 AM Erik Fasterius <erik.fasterius using outlook.com>
wrote:

> I made some changes to my seqCAT package the last few days in order to
> prepare for version 1.0.0 of tidyr, which was apparently harder than I
> initially thought. I was also a bit too quick with pushing to Bioconductor
> (both the release and devel branches), and now I’ve got several updates and
> versions that don’t work - very stupid of me, I know. I do seem to have a
> working version now, though, and I finally learnt my lesson and have NOT
> pushed this to Bioconductor yet. Now I want to reset to the previously
> working versions of my package (1.6.0 for release and 1.7.2 for devel)
>
> I did try to make (temporary) hard resets and force push these to
> Bioconductor (as per the “reset to a previous commit” in the “abandon
> changes” developer section), but these did not work: all I got was errors
> say I cannot move from a higher version (e.g. 1.6.2) back to a lower one
> (1.6.0). Is there a way to bypass this? If not, I assume I’ll just have to
> make a new version for each branch (1.6.3 and 1.7.5, as it were) and push
> those, leaving several non-functional versions at Bioconductor? If at all
> possible I’d like to avoid this.
>
> Again, I realise these problems are because of errors on my part, and
> would like to know if I can solve them somehow or if I’ll just have to live
> with them.

Kasper