[Bioc-devel] R CMD check testthat failure in tokay2 (devel branch)

Pages, Herve hp@ge@ @end|ng |rom |redhutch@org
Thu Apr 18 21:13:29 CEST 2019

Hi Benjamin,

Sorry for the late answer. Looks like things have changed a little bit on the report since your original post. What I see on today's report is a test failure on Windows for the i386 arch only:

  https://bioconductor.org/checkResults/3.9/bioc-LATEST/universalmotif/tokay2-checksrc.html

The universalmotif.Rcheck/tests_i386/testthat.Rout.fail file is:

R version 3.6.0 beta (2019-04-12 r76385) -- "Planting of a Tree"
Copyright (C) 2019 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: i386-w64-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> library(testthat)
> library(universalmotif)
>
> test_check("universalmotif")
-- 1. Error: viewing motif stacks works (@test_view_motifs.R#39)  --------------
could not find function "merge_motifs_get_offset"
1: view_motifs(c(m1, m2)) at testthat/test_view_motifs.R:39
2: lapply(seq_along(mot.mats)[-1], function(x) {
       y <- merge_motifs_get_offset(mot.mats[[1]], mot.mats[[x]], method, min.overlap,
           mot.ics[[1]], mot.ics[[x]], min.mean.ic, normalise.scores)
       merge_add_cols(y)
   })
3: FUN(X[[i]], ...)

== testthat results  ===========================================================
OK: 193 SKIPPED: 2 FAILED: 1
1. Error: viewing motif stacks works (@test_view_motifs.R#39)

Error: testthat unit tests failed
Execution halted

I'm not sure why the merge_motifs_get_offset() function cannot be found when R is running in i386 mode. I see that merge_motifs_get_offset() is implemented in C++ and integrated to the universalmotif package using the Rcpp machinery (with RcppExports.cpp and RcppExports.R files). The package also uses a top-level Makefile and a src/Makevars file. Overall this looks like a relatively complicated setup. Could it be that the issue with the unit test is somehow related to some subtle issue with this setup? Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the Rcpp/RcppExports.cpp/RcppExports.R machinery so I'm not able be provide more help, sorry. Hopefully someone on the list with more experience will be able to help.

Unlikely to be related but FWIW I noted that "[[: not found" is displayed during installation:

  https://bioconductor.org/checkResults/3.9/bioc-LATEST/universalmotif/tokay2-install.html

(once during the "install for i386" step and once during the "install for x64" step). Don't know if that's something that you should worry about or not though...

Best,
H.