[Bioc-devel] NEWS file, latest R/Bioc devel version

Shepherd, Lori Lori@Shepherd @ending from Ro@wellP@rk@org
Wed Nov 28 14:13:47 CET 2018

I haven't updated the Bioconductor package guideline page nor the function in Bioconductor to account for  files with .md  -  This was a recent addition and only available in R-devel (R 3.6)  - Having a NEWS file previous, had to be in NEWS or NEWS.Rd .  I plan to update these functions later this week or early next.

When I do  tools:::.build_news_db_from_package_NEWS_md("NEWS.md")  with your minimal example it does not crash and is formatted correctly.   Are you using the most recent version of R-devel ?

Lori Shepherd

Bioconductor Core Team

Roswell Park Cancer Institute

Elm & Carlton Streets

Buffalo, New York 14263

________________________________
From: Bioc-devel <bioc-devel-bounces using r-project.org> on behalf of Casper Peters <cp100u using hotmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 7:54:06 AM
To: bioc-devel using r-project.org
Subject: [Bioc-devel] NEWS file, latest R/Bioc devel version

Hi all,

So I'm trying to get my NEWS file to parse correctly as described on the package guidelines;

https://www.bioconductor.org/developers/package-guidelines/

I however get an empty newline (`tools:::.news_reader_default()` is used) or my R crashes (when I try use `tools:::.build_news_db_from_package_NEWS_md()`).

Since I cannot share my full NEWS file as it is private information until submission, I can share the general buildup of the file.

The filename is `NEWS.md` and is located in the root of my package project.

Minimal example of my markdown file;

```

# Changelog of <PACKAGE>
All notable changes to this project will be documented in this file.

The format is based on [Keep a Changelog](https://keepachangelog.com/en/1.0.0/),
and this project adheres to [Semantic Versioning](https://semver.org/spec/v2.0.0.html).\*

\*Changes of commit versions will not be kept track of, instead only major and minor versions will keep a changelog;

x.y.z (e.g. 1.2.5) --> changes of 1.2.z and 1.3.z will be kept track of but not the small "z" version changes, because this changes with every commit.
All z changes will be kept track of in the unreleased minor (y) version. There was an exception for the first version however, because this version didn't
use correct convention yet (0.0.1). Failed implementations might be re-evaluated in later updates.

## [0.3.0 - RELEASETITLE] - 1960-01-30

---

### Added

- Foo
- Foo2

### Changed

- Bar

### Removed

- Lisp

### Fixed

- Monkeys

## [0.2.0 - RELEASETITLE] - 2012-6-12

---

### Added

- Foo
- Foo2

### Changed

- Bar

### Removed

- Lisp

### Fixed

- Monkeys

```

Are there any errors in my format/what do I need to fix or is the news parsing broken?

Bioc-devel - 3.9

R build - r75674

Thanks in advance,

-Casper