[Bioc-devel] GenomicFeatures

Obenchain, Valerie V@lerie@Obench@in @ending from Ro@wellP@rk@org
Fri Nov 2 17:15:58 CET 2018

Historically we used to flush the repos before a release. At some point
we stopped and I could not remember why. The situation you describe
below is probably it.

When preparing for 3.8, we ran into the case where we had quite a few
stale packages in the repos. Their 'staleness' was due to being renamed,
deprecated, etc. These left around old landing pages and appeared in
biocViews inappropriately. At the time it seemed like a good idea to
flush the repo (release only) for a clean start. This would result in no
products (landing page, tarball, ...) for packages that did not build in
the new release. (We also had a hiccup with generating landing pages
with stale links that we're working on. Should be fixed soon.)

While no landing page / nonavailability is motivation for maintainers to
fix broken packages it's also an inconvenience for users and this is not
good. For the next release we'll probably do some combination of the two
- flush only packages not in the manifest.

Sorry for this inconvenience - my fault entirely.

Valerie

PS/BTW I've fixed GenomicFeatures and if it doesn't have an internet
burp during the builds it should be available tomorrow.